Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Duma thanks O’Neill for courage to resign as PM



Posted on The National

HAGEN MP William Duma thanked Peter O’Neill for his courageous action to step down as the prime minster and wished him the best on behalf of his people.
Duma made the statement following O’Neill’s resignation, announced in Parliament yesterday.
He recalled that in 2011, when they first formed the O’Neill-Government, and said that they had archieved many things for the country.
“In 2011, O’Neill, myself and five others formed the new Government,” Duma said.
“We all had served under Sir Michael Somare, we were ministers in his government and helped to govern the country, We learned from him but when our time came in 2011, we took the chance and one of us (O’Neill) made it to the highest office.
“We first started this Government (O’Neill) with many plans and dreams for our country and the party I led became one of the greatest coalition partners of the People’s National Congress party.”
Duma said though there were many challenges, ups and downs, they stood together and under O’Neill’s leadership achieved many things.
“But unfortunately as they say, when you stay longer, resentment builds up.
“And when everyone left. When the other five left, I was the last man standing with him.
“I was waiting for the Prime Minister (O’Neill) to come to me and say what should we do? He didn’t.
“So I left without informing him and joined the Laguna team (Opposition), but as I said at that time, ‘nobody is perfect’ and I can never blame O’Neill,” Duma said.
“Maybe you were waiting for me to leave too and then you’d resign.”
Duma said that despite everything, he still had respect for O’Neill.
“And on behalf of my family and my people of Hagen open, we wish you all the best.”
A new prime minister is expected to be elected today when Parliament resumes at 10am.

Go to this link for more: https://www.thenational.com.pg/duma-thanks-oneill-for-courage-to-resign-as-pm/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Cashless in China as I study for my PhD

                                WeChat and Alipay digital payment applications By BETTY GABRIEL WAKIA - posted on PNG Attitude Blog PORT MOR...