Tuesday, September 24, 2019

PM cancels costly trip

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing

Posted on The National

PRIME Minister James Marape, pictured, has cancelled his trip to United Nations General Assembly in New York because it will cost the government K1.2 million to send 55 officials to accompany him.
Marape told a press conference yesterday that he directed the travel for the majority of the delegation to be cancelled.
“That is not acceptable and I have personally directed that travel for the majority of the delegation be cancelled,” he said.
“Just five or six essential staff members will travel with Foreign Minister Soroi Eoe, who I have every confidence in, with the assistance of our highly capable team at Kundu New York, will represent our interests when the General Assembly meets.
“I want to place, on record, my belief in the importance of the General Assembly meeting and the role of the United Nations.
“This is particularly the case in relation to climate change, which remains a very real and urgent issue for PNG and the islands of the Pacific.”
Marape said he had Bougainville, along with several internal issues, to attend to and nominated Eoe and Environment Conservation and Climate Change Minister Geoffery Kama to attend in his place.
“The United Nations General Assembly session is going on and I decided not to attend due to pressing matters at home,” he said.
“As you all know, I am to address the United Nations this week (Sept 27).
“It is also a very important date for us, especially for the Autonomous Region of Bougainville.
“The writs will be issued for the referendum on Sept 27 and I thought it was more important for me to stay at home.
“The security, the success of our nation and matters that are of more importance for us to address.
“I conveyed our apologies to the United Nations general-secretary as an organisation that I will not be attending.”

Go to this link for more: https://www.thenational.com.pg/pm-cancels-costly-trip/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Cashless in China as I study for my PhD

                                WeChat and Alipay digital payment applications By BETTY GABRIEL WAKIA - posted on PNG Attitude Blog PORT MOR...